Lake Manager’s Report – January 2019
Randy Stowe, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The MPOA dredging project has been completed, barring some minor restoration of areas disturbed by dredging equipment, which will take place in 2019. As is typical in this type of project, funds for that work are being withheld from the final payout to the dredging contractor until that restoration work has been completed.
2. Lake users are reminded that with the deeper water now present in the dredged portions of the lake, and the recent unseasonably warm temperatures, ice formation on the lake so far this winter has been unpredictable at best. Please use extreme caution attempting to access the lake, unless you are positive of safe ice conditions.
3. The IEPA Section 319 grant project helping fund the shoreline stabilization of Strom and Yacht Club Islands, as well as the Wonder Center North park area, will be implemented during the summer of 2019.
4. On Saturday, January 19th, the Nippersink Watershed Association will conduct yet another workday, clearing invasive brush from a portion of the Merchant Creek stream corridor. This volunteer work is being done in advance of an upcoming IEPA Section 319 funded stream stabilization project to help minimize the significant amounts of sediment that this parcel has delivered to Wonder Lake over the past decades. Please note that a new meeting location is being used for this workday. Volunteer’s will meet at 8 am at the north end (dead end) of Park Drive, just north of Wooded Shores Drive. Park Drive is the second side street off Wooded Shores Drive coming west from East Wonder Lake Road. As always, volunteers are welcome, as volunteer time counts towards a ICECF grant also obtained by the NWA.
5. The 34th Annual Illinois Lakes Management Association Conference will be held at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn in Crystal Lake, IL from March 14 – 16, 2019. Given the proximity to Wonder Lake, this would be a great opportunity for WL folks to learn more about a wide variety of lake topics. For more details: http://www.ilma-lakes.org/conference