Lake Manager’s Report – December 2018
Randy Stowe, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The MPOA dredging project has been completed, barring some minor restoration of areas disturbed by dredging equipment, which will take place in 2019. As is typical in this type of project, funds for that work are being withheld from the final payout to the dredging contractor until that restoration has been completed.
2. The dredging resulted in a final total of 516,265 cubic yards of sediment being removed from shallow areas of Wonder Lake, improving lake usage, fish habitat and water quality. This volume has been confirmed by the required survey of dredged areas, and subsequent review by the MPOA dredging consultant.
3. To put this volume in perspective, this is roughly the equivalent of almost 29,000 semi dump truck loads of nutrient-rich sediment no longer in the lake, and available for potential resale to help fund future lake maintenance activities.
4. On Saturday, December 15th, the Nippersink Watershed Association will conduct yet another workday, clearing invasive brush from a portion of the Merchant Creek stream corridor. This volunteer work is being done in advance of an upcoming IEPA Section 319 funded stream stabilization project to help minimize the significant amounts of sediment that this parcel has delivered to Wonder Lake over the past decades. Please note that a new meeting location is being used for this workday. Volunteer’s will meet at 8 am at the north end (dead end) of Edgewood Drive, just north of Wooded Shores Drive. Edgewood Drive is the first side street off Wooded Shores Drive coming west from East Wonder Lake Road. As always, volunteers are welcome, as volunteer time counts towards a ICECF grant also obtained by the NWA.
5. The 34th Annual Illinois Lakes Management Association Conference will be held at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn in Crystal Lake, IL from March 14 – 16, 2019. Given the proximity to Wonder Lake, this would be a great opportunity for WL folks to learn more about a wide variety of lake topics. For more details: http://www.ilma-lakes.org/conference