Lake Managers Report – February 2016
Randy Stowe, email@example.com
1. I am still working with our dredging consultant to obtain the surveyed sediment verification for White Oaks Bay so that the MPOA can finally confirm that the volume of dredged sediment for WOB, as required under the dredging contract has been removed from that area.
2. The MPOA dredging contractor has de-mobilized for the winter. All dredging equipment / pipeline that will remain in the lake over the winter has been relocated to West Bay, as shown below. Winter lake users will need to exercise caution when in West Bay.
3. All winter lake users are again reminded of the presence of the rip-rap island protection around O’Brien Shoals and Wickline Island, and as always, are urged to use caution in these areas of the lake. Snowmobiler’s are also reminded that the Wonder Lake d embankment is strictly off-limits.
4. Last weekend, a number of cars parked on Geneva Lake fell through the ice. While vehicles are not allowed on the Wonder Lake ice, the unusual weather this winter is contributing to variable ice conditions, and potentially hazardous conditions. Anyone venturing out onto the ice should be aware of what to do if they were to fall through the ice. The most recent edition of the Wisconsin “Lake Lines” publication included an informative article on “Safety on Our Frozen Lakes” (attached), and also included a video-link, including YouTube videos on how to save yourself. http://www.lake-link.com/articles/read0/article.cfm/1018/Safety-On-The-H...
5. The MPOA has modified its office hours to better accommodate spring decal sales, including Friday evening hours in May and June.
MARCH AND APRIL TUES – FRI 10:00AM TO 2:00PM SAT. 9:00AM TO 2:00PM
MAY AND JUNE TUES – THURS 10:00AM TO 2:00PM FRIDAY 3:00PM TO 7:00PM SAT. 9:00AM TO 2:00PM
6. The Wonder Lake Sportsman’s Club will be holding a workday this Saturday, February 13, 2016 to begin removing invasive brush from Strom Island.
7. The Nippersink Watershed Association is planning a stream clean-up of Nippersink Creek downstream of the Wonder Lake Dam. The proposed work day is Saturday, May 7, 2016. Volunteers will be welcome. This activity will complement the annual lake clean-up conducted by the Wonder Lake Sportsman’s Club.
8. The Illinois Lake Management Association will be holding its annual conference in Springfield on February 29 – March 2, 2016. Information can be found at http://www.ilma-lakes.org/ilma-annual-conference
9. The 4th Annual Fox River Summit will be held on Thursday, March 17, 2016 from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm at the Veteran’s Terrace, Burlington, WI. Registration info at http://www.sewfrc.org/summit/