Lake Manager’s Report – January 8th, 2014
Randy Stowe, email@example.com
1. The SDF contractor began pouring the foundations for the two SDF water control structures before the weather deteriorated. SDF site work is on hold for the foreseeable future.
2. Soil borings to confirm that the constructed SDF liner is compliant with the IEPA permit requirements have been conducted. Review of the laboratory testing results of the collected soil samples is currently underway.
3. The SDF contractor is still estimating final project completion by April 1st, 2014 (weather permitting), which will allow a 2014 dredging start.
4. It is tentatively planned to advertise for dredging bids in February to allow dredging to begin in 2014.
5. Thanks to the efforts of Mary McCann (County Board Member from District 6), McHenry County is now beginning to contribute to the yearly maintenance cost of the U.S.G.S. stream gaging station at Thompson Road.
6. The Nippersink Watershed Association has secured roughly $85,000 in re-allocated grant funding from IEPA to allow a stream corridor stabilization project to be implemented on Galt Creek within Phase 1 of the Meadows of West Bay subdivision. As a tributary to the West Bay of Wonder Lake, the proposed Best Management Practice’s will help reduce sediment and nutrient loading to the lake. While the MPOA has no direct involvement in this project, and no MPOA funds are involved, a portion of the value of the on-going MPOA lake restoration work will be used as the local cost-share requirement of the IEPA grant.
7. I have begun to receive inquiries from lakefront landowners about potentially applying for the next round of IEPA – Section 319 grants to install “lake-friendly” shoreline stabilization practices on their property. The chances for receiving a grant are greatly increased if there are multiple Wonder Lake applicant’s, so MPOA Director’s are encouraged to spread the word. Have interested parties contact the MPOA office.
8. All winter lake user’s are again reminded of the presence of the rip-rap island protection around O’Brien Shoals and Wickline Island, and as always, are urged to use caution in these areas of the lake. Thanks to the Wonder Lake Sportsmans Club for installing warning markers.
9. The next Illinois Lake Management Association conference will be held is April 10-12, 2014, at the Timber Creek Inn and Suites, in Sandwich, Illinois.