Lake Manager’s Report – March 2017
Randy Stowe, firstname.lastname@example.org
1. The dredging contractor is making plans to re-mobilize for the 2017 dredging season around the first week of April. The working plan is to first complete the remaining dredging of O’Brien Shoals and Wickline Island, before moving to the South Bay prior to the Memorial Day Holiday, if not sooner. Obviously, the weather at this time of year is still a factor, as below freezing temperatures can be an issue with the pumps and equipment.
2. Lake user’s need to be aware of rapidly changing lake conditions as the dredging contractor begins to re-deploy the sediment pipeline, booster pumps, and other dredging-related equipment. Avoiding those areas of the lake is the best bet, when possible.
3. As in past years, the closest the dredging will come to any shoreline in the dredging zones is 20 feet. If you are in those areas, and your pier extends no more than 20 feet from shore, you should be fine. If your pier is longer than 20 feet, it will need to be temporarily removed when the dredge gets to your area, or the extent of dredging conducted in that area will have to be reduced.
4. The County and the MPOA continue to discuss recently adopted an Inter-Governmental Agreement (IGA), intended to clarify how permits for shoreline projects are to be handled by the Village and the County.
5. On February 16, 2017, I was the keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the Illinois Association of Conservation Districts held at Starved Rock State Park. My presentation was focused on all of the activities being done by various Nippersink Watershed partners, including the MPOA and the Nippersink Watershed Association, to protect and enhance water quality.
6. On March 10, 2017, I gave a brief presentation at the 5th Fox River Summit in Burlington, Wisconsin, discussing the upcoming IEPA Section 319 funded watershed projects.
7. The 32nd Annual Illinois Lakes Management Association Conference, March 30 to April 1, 2017, to be held at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn in Crystal Lake, IL is fast approaching. Given the proximity, this would be a great opportunity for WL folks to learn more about a wide variety of lake topics. For more details: http://www.ilma-lakes.org/conference.