Lake Manager’s Report – March - April, 2014
Randy Stowe, email@example.com
1. The SDF contractor is estimating final project completion by around May 1st, 2014 (weather permitting), which will allow a 2014 dredging start. Recent aerial photos of the SDF site, taken by Bob Schell, are posted on the MPOA website.
2. Requests for dredging bids were sent to eight (8) firms known to have worked on similar sized projects. Five firms submitted bids. Discussions are underway with the apparent low bidder to negotiate a final contract, which when completed will be reviewed by the Lake Maintenance Commission before being presented to the MPOA Director’s for a vote.
3. As dredging gets underway, the MPOA will be posting information on the MPOA website advising all lake user’s of changing lake conditions, related to dredging operations or other urgent situations. A Notice To Lake User’s has also been prepared and posted to provide some preliminary information on the dredging.
4. All lake user’s are also encouraged to sign up to receive “Important Lake Update” email notices from the MPOA on updates to the website. If you are not already on the email list, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org asking to be added to the lake notice list.
5. The Illinois EPA has again awarded a Streambank Cleanup And Lakeshore Enhancement (SCALE) grant to the MPOA, which will allow the Wonder Lake Sportsman’s Club to receive up to $4,000 in reimbursement from the IEPA for eligible cleanup / disposal related expenses incurred in 2014. The 2014 cleanup is proposed for a Saturday in mid-to-late April, and will be determined by the Sportsman’s Club. Volunteers are always welcome to help the Sportsman’s Club in this valuable effort in managing our lake.
6. The McHenry County Department of Health (MCDH) will be making a presentation at the May 7th, 2014 MPOA Director’s meeting on swimming beaches, and the associated responsibilities of the beach operator for swimming beaches. Each MPOA subdivision operating a swimming beach should have their beach commissioner attend this presentation, which will be conducted at the beginning of the MPOA meeting at 7:00 p.m.
7. The MPOA is again contracting with the MCDH to collect and analyze water samples at 9 stream locations around Wonder Lake for the summer of 2014, at the same time they collect water samples at the various swimming beaches around the lake.
8. I continue to receive inquiries from lakefront landowners about potentially applying for the next round of IEPA – Section 319 grants in July 2014 to install “lake-friendly” shoreline stabilization practices on their property in 2015, if a grant is awarded. The chances for receiving a 319 grant are greatly increased if there are multiple Wonder Lake applicants, so MPOA Director’s are encouraged to spread the word. Have interested parties contact the MPOA office.
9. I will be attending the Illinois Lake Management Association conference this Thursday-Saturday in Sandwich, Illinois.