LAKE STATUS : LAKE IS "OPEN" USE EXTREME CAUTION
New Ice with Variable Temperatures Forecast - Please use extreme caution. Lake users should view ice safety practices prior to lake use: https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html
HAZARD TO NAVIGATION NOTICE UPDATE
August 4, 2020 -- In late June, the MPOA received reports of a submerged obstruction which had been struck by passing watercraft, on the east side of the lake, just southwest of Wonder Lake Marina. The object was apparently partially buoyant, capable of bouncing and drifting along the lake bottom. The MPOA and Wonder Lake Fire Department Dive Team subsequently coordinated a search for the object, using a boat equipped with side scanning sonar. Despite a number of attempts to locate the object, it could not be found. At this point, it can only be assumed that the object finally sank to the lakebed, and/or drifted into deeper water. However, anyone boating in the general vicinity of Wonder Center Beach should still use caution, and contact the MPOA if anything is encountered.
MPOA OFFICE RE-OPENING
The MPOA Office will allow in-person processing of MPOA watercraft decal sales.
The MPOA office re-opening is based upon the following conditions, and CDC guidelines.
- Masks must be properly worn at all times. No mask will mean no entry / no service.
- To allow for social distancing, only one person will be allowed in the MPOA Office at one time. You will be let in individually one by one.
- Have all required documentation, payments, and proper identification ready.
Please note that anyone who had acquired MPOA watercraft decal(s) in 2020 will have their 2021 Decal application mailed to them in mid-January, 2021. Bringing that paperwork in will greatly expedite your decal purchase. If not available, and if requested by sending an email to email@example.com a duplicate application will be USPS mailed, To avoid crowds / delays, it is still strongly recommended to apply for your decal(s) by US mail.
The MPOA appreciates everyone’s patience and cooperation in getting decals sales back up to speed in this unprecedented situation
MASTER PROPERTY OWNERS ASSOCIATION, (M.P.O.A.)
WELCOME to the Master Property Owners Association (MPOA) in Wonder Lake, Illinois 60097. The MPOA owns and manages Wonder Lake, a private 830 acre recreational lake located northwest of Chicago. The MPOA office is located at 7602 Hancock Drive, at the northwest corner of Hancock Drive and E. Wonder Lake Road, roughly two miles north of IL Route 120. Do you have a question about the Lake, or need information about the Wonder Lake area? E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (815) 653-1000
The two primary reasons watercraft are prohibited from using the lake during lake closure is to protect the shoreline from wakes and protect the people and watercraft from floating debris. The Lake Use Commission reviewed this procedure and concluded that non-motorized vehicles, canoes, kayaks, etc. do not make a wake and travel slow enough that they should be able to see and avoid floating debris. It is therefore the recommendation of the Lake Use Commission that future Lake Closure notices will prohibit the use of motorized vehicles.
LAKE RESTORATION UPDATE
Dredging is now complete and equipment / pipes are being removed. (restoration of areas disturbed by the dredging equipment will take place in 2019). Fun fact: 516,265 cubic yards of sediment were removed from shallow areas of the lake. This is the equivalent of about 29,000 dump truck loads!
• NEW LATEST UPDATE → Lake Managers Report
• Read about the History of Wonder Lake's Restoration
• EROSION CONTROL BARRIERS: Read 2012 Notice to Lake Users
• THE FIGHT AGAINST INVASIVE SPECIES: Learn More
BOAT SAFETY CLASS
You can take boat safety classes online, at anytime: Boater Exam.com, and Boat-Ed.com are fast and easy and certification cost is $29.95. Persons at least 12 years of age and less than 18 years, without an Adult are required to have a certificate. As lake use on Wonder Lake is largely governed by Illinois Department of Natural Resources regulations, it may be useful to periodically review information related to those regulations. Information can be downloaded at: https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/boating/Documents/BoatDigest.pdf
MPOA WATERCRAFT DECAL REMINDER
Lake users are reminded that MPOA Lake Use Decals MUST be permanently affixed to the watercraft / snowmobile / ATV to which they are registered, and that they are NOT transferable. The Wonder Lake Police Department Marine Patrol is provided with a list of all MPOA Decal registrants, and the specific type and description of the unit each decal number was issued to. Failure to have your MPOA decal permanently affixed is a ticketable offense. 2021 Decal application
- ALL NON-MOTORZIED WATERCRAFT $10-
- ALL WATERCRAFT 1- 39 HP $20-
- ALL WATERCRAFT 40 HP AND OVER $40-
- ALL PERSONAL WATERCRAFT (JET SKI’S) $40-
- WINTER DECALS (SNOWMOBILES, ATV’s, etc) $5-
BOATING REGULATIONS - EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1st 2015
• Senate Bill 3434 allows for the seizure of a watercraft used in the commission of certain offenses related to operating under the influence. The new rules bring penalties for boating under the influence more in line with those for operating a motor vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
• Senate Bill 3433 requires all persons born after Jan. 1, 1998 to take and pass a boating safety course validated by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources and hold a valid boating safety certificate before they can operate a motorboat with an engine over 10 horsepower.
• Senate Bill 2731, mandates that the operator of any watercraft that is towing a person, such as a water skier or tuber, must display a bright orange flag measuring not less than 12 inches per side. The flag must be displayed from the time the person to be towed leaves the boat until that person returns to the boat at the conclusion of the activity. Under the law, flying the flag for purposes other than towing is prohibited, so be sure to only display the flag when towing.