Lake Manager’s Report – May 2023
Randy Stowe, email@example.com
1. The MPOA continues to explore options for marketing the dried sediment resulting from the dredging project. The MPOA is currently in contact with soil scientists to determine how best to gather and analyze samples of the sediment for potential use in future marketing efforts.
2. The Wonder Lake Fire Department led a controlled burn of the SDF to control vegetative growth on the sediment.
3. Lake users are urged to get their MPOA decals purchased and displayed soon, as the MPOA office will be closed Saturday the 27th through Monday of Memorial Day weekend, reopening on Tuesday the 30th.
4. The Yacht Club is planning to put the buoys out on May 21st.
5. As the summer boating season is rapidly approaching, the MPOA encourages all Wonder Lake boaters to take a few minutes to review the Illinois Boating Digest to make sure they are up to date on the current boating regulations, so that we can keep Wonder Lake safe for everyone on the lake. https://www2.illinois.gov/dnr/boating/Documents/BoatDigest.pdf
6. Are you a home gardener, plant enthusiast, naturalist, teacher of native plants, waterfront property owner, or pollinator lover? Then you need to check out this new electronic resource. This e-guide seeks to show and tell the story of all the gifts these native plants give us, and contains species profile pages for 112 different plants, each including these five topic areas:
- Biology notes
- Beneficial insects and other wildlife support
- Seasonal interest notes
- Complementary native plants
- Water conservation and erosion control tips
Additional appendices provide assorted resources to dig deeper into native plant gardening and ecological design and restoration, including a table listing seed collection timing and propagation needs. The guide can be downloaded here: https://tinyurl.com/yck565be